Does God exist?
- A man went to a barbershop to have his hair cut and his beard trimmed. As the barber began to work, they began to have a good conversation. They talked about so many things and various subjects. They eventually touched on the subject of God.
- Barber: I don't believe that God exists.
- Customer: Why do you say that?
- Barber: Well, you just have to go out in the street to realize that God doesn’t exist. Tell me, if God exists, would there be so many sick people? Would there be abandoned children? If God existed, there would be neither suffering nor pain. I can’t imagine a loving God who would allow all of these things.
- The customer thought for a moment, but didn’t respond because he didn’t want to start an argument. The barber finished his job and the customer left the shop. Just after he left the barbershop, he saw a man in the street with long, stringy, dirty hair and an untrimmed beard. The customer turned back and entered the barber shop again.
- Customer: You know what? Barbers don't exist.
- Barber: How can you say that? I am here. I am a barber, and I just worked on you!
- Customer: No! Barbers don’t exist because if they did, there would be no people with dirty long hair and untrimmed beards, like that man outside.
- Barber: Ah, but barbers DO exist! That’s what happens when people do not come to me.
- Customer: Exactly! That’s the point! God, too, DOES exist! That’s what happens when people do not go to Him and don’t look to Him for help. That’s why there’s so much pain and suffering in the world.
People are often unreasonable, irrational and self-centered. Forgive them anyway. If you are kind, people may accuse of you selfish, ulterior motives. Be kind anyway. If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies. Succeed anyway. If you are honest and sincere, people may deceive you. Be honest and sincere anyway. What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight. Create anyway. If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous. Be happy anyway. The good you do today will often be forgotten. Do good anyway. Give the best you have and it will never be enough. Give your best anyway. In the final analysis, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.
“A man who is intimate with God will never be intimidated by man.” —Leonard Ravenhill (via biggblog)
Lord, lead me to the cross where Your love poured out. Lead me to my knees, Lord, I lay me down. Rid me of myself, I belong to You. Lord, lead me. Lead me to the cross.